Thursday, September 15, 2011

I recall the  first time I went  hiking  was when I was in Bako , Sarawak. Being a non hiker enthusiast I did not plan to go hiking there. In addition it never come across my mind that the foot path in Bako was meant for hiking. I thought that the path around the area was across a flat land. 

With a handbag on my shoulder and slippers, my family and I boarded a speed boat at Kampung Bako to go to Bako National Park. It was a thrilling boat ride as we passed the water village where houses were built on stilts and a large mangrove area. Once we reached the park jetty, we got excited when we saw the proboscis monkey sitting quietly on several trees, an interesting  welcome  to this serene, enchanted place.


With a handbag on my shoulder and slippers, my family and I boarded a speed boat at Kampung Bako to go to Bako National Park. It was a thrilling boat ride as we passed the water village where houses were built on stilts and a large mangrove area. Once we reached the park jetty, we got excited when we saw the proboscis monkey sitting quietly on several trees, an interesting  welcome  to this serene, enchanted place.

Then came the incredible part. As I mentioned earlier, I had come with a handbag on my shoulder and a slipper with a slightly  high heels. The relaxing  walking activity soon become a grueling climbing up the hill with rocky  paths. Out of a sudden the path soon became out of sight . That means I have to use my all fours to reach the other side of the hill. Oh my god!  My children had to pull me up to reach the top.

It was then my family members had to bear all the grumblings that I poured as I strenuously climbed the rocky hills. I kept on mentioning why do they have to choose that path whereas I knew that they, themselves did not know the path could be that difficult. Then low and behold! Right in front of us was a gigantic enormous rock. "Wait a minute...," I asked my children." Do we have to actually climb that giant rock???" I asked as my eyes stared unblinkingly at my family. "Yes mom, according to the path given, we have to," said my eldest daughter.
My hiking adventures began when we decided to see more of the area since there wasn't much things to do at the jetty. So we chose a scenic area as our next target of destination. The first few minutes was okay as we followed the path which was not that hilly. Fortunately the path was well equipped with lots of notice boards just in case we got lost.


Oh my God! My  heart started beating rapidly..... To turn back and tracking down that high hill was also incredible. To climb the huge rock was even unimaginable. We had no choice but to continue taking that nearly impossible path. My grumbling continued as I struggled on all fours with my children to climb the huge thing. Thank God! I did not hurt or scratch myself.

Upon reaching the top of the rock, we were dismayed as all we could see was more path. The destination was still very  far. There was a shade with wooden seats  that we could use as a place to rest. We took a few minutes to discuss our next course of action. We were already exhausted and might not have the energy to climb down if we proceed. However to turn back using the same route looked  a waste of time and energy. There was another route from there that leads to a beach  about half hour from the jetty. After much discussion, we decided to proceed to the beach.

The path to the beach was much easier and we could see quite a number of people following the route. After about 45 minutes going downhill, we reached the  beach. We were indeed exhausted when our feet landed on the soft sandy beach. Though the beach was not  that large and secluded, the cool breeze and water gave a us a welcome respite  to reduce our weariness.

My feet and my aching body gave me signs that I could not continue hiking anymore. We did not bring any food but only a bottle of mineral water. Most of us were already exhausted that we do not feel like hiking anymore even walking back to the jetty. Fortunately we saw a boat passing by not far from the beach. I suggested that we ask the  boatmen to take us back to the jetty. So we waved to him as if asking him to come to us. Yep! that was the first time we waved so hard that  It felt as if we were waving for help after having stranded and lost on an unknown far away island,

Little did we knew that he was actually he was the same  boatman that took us from Kampung Bako to the national park jetty. It was when  he brought the boat near beach that we saw  the familiar face. What relief.! We decided to asked him to take us back to Kampung Bako instead of the park jetty. 



We rode past a huge unique rock formation in the middle of the sea.This huge rock was said to look like a huge serpent. 

Thank God not long after that we reached Kampung Bako  safe and sound. Thrilling adventure? Yes! But never again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts