Monday, December 19, 2011

One Great Experience- Witnessing the Eclipse of the Moon- Part One


http://science.howstuffworks.com/lunar-eclipse1.htm

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to witness the eclipse of the moon for the whole hour. Yeah, what's so interesting about the moon eclipse? One might blurt out that question.  Have you ever seen  one  yet? Let me relate my first hand experience witnessing this unique phenomena. 


 At first it was really cloudy. When I tried to locate the moon outside my house all I could see was only clouds. That was around 9 pm. Alhamduliillah, the weather was pleasant  with nice cool breeze that also cools down our anxiousness.   


Hours before that my daughter had browsed the internet about the actual time of the eclipse and  what we actually would expect to see. The words umbra and penumbra came out. As an ex Science teacher, I had taught about this natural phenomenon several times. In fact I drew a poster to ensure that my students understand what is umbra and penumbra. Eventhough the word seemed familiar, I could hardly recall what exactly umbra and penumbra. That was when I had to dig out my children's PMR Science books. Alhamdulillah, I was able to find the diagram that I used to refer when I taught back then.

My husband went the mosques for Maghrib prayers and decided to stay back and attend the solat gerhana. Earlier my daughter had to browse the internet again on how to perform eclipse solat(solat gerhana). Hmm..the solat gerhana had two rukuks on each rakaat. Otherwise the solat is performed the same as the other solat sunat. 

After Maghrib prayers, I decided to wait  for the beggining of the ecclipse of the moon which was about half an hour after Maghrib. Then when the time of the eclipse began, I  performed my very first eclipse solat at home. Alhamdulillah, even though I had to do it alone, I was grateful to be able to perform the solat. Several years ago I performed together with the other muslim ladies at the mosque as it was Ramadhan and we usually  go to the mosque for tarawih prayers. This time i was unable to go the mosque due to unforeseen reasons.


To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts