Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Smoky valley vs smoky mountains

Not very far from Knoxville, Tennessee there is a mountain range called Smoky mountains. It is here where the famous town of Gatlinburg is situated. Gatlinburg is famous for the place of Ripleys Believe it or not.
In Malaysia there are smoky valleys .....almost everywhere ....the mamak stalls, the malay stalls...the Chinese and Indian stalls. Here's an example how you can experience the Smoky Valley.Normally the moment I reach the stall, I will try to get a spot at the very end so that I can get fresh air. (Normally I go to the stalls in the morning for breakfast or at night for dinner).Then when I am already comfortably seated, then come a group of young men or women and sit at the table next to me. That was when the smoky valley forms. One of them will start to take out his cigarette and starts the smoking process. They haven't even place an order yet. Then the others will follow what the first person had done. There will be other people that will join the forming of the smoky valley at other tables. Before you knew it,the whole place will be full of smoke. No guilty feeling of making the others sick or uncomfortable. Once I had to ask for sympathy of the smoker to smoke somewhere else because I had asthma. Luckily he agreed to sit at another table far from me. I heard that some people were scolded when they advise the smoker.
I do not believe rising the cost of cigarettes will reduce smokers. I think they will find ways to get them no matter what when they are addicted. It can be stealing cigarettes at the shop or even robbing a house.Just like the drug addicts.
I think most of the smokers know what are the hazardous effects of smoking. They have learnt that in school. Those who suffer will the non smokers...could be their parents, brothers, sisters or friends. Do they care?
Just a few days ago the Pahang religious department announced the fatwa saying that smoking is haram. There are other states that also gave the same fatwa. These are fatwas and not opinions. I believe that when you are a good muslim and you know that smoking is haram, you will have to quit smoking. No excuses should be given for the sake of your very own health.
I believe smokers know that there are many ways to quit smoking. The first step is always
comes from your inner self. It is really up to you.

2 comments:

  1. huhu reading the title for the first time, I thought smoky valley is like 'somewhere' famous and cool like smoky mountains. heheh~

    but true, Along cannot smell it either. There's one of my classmate who smells like it (I guess he smokes a lot, that's why). Everytime he sits close to my sit, I'll tend to pull my tudung or muffler and cover my nose :P

    taktau la dia perasan ke tak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pahang fatwa council has agreed that smoking is haram. And I think there are many more states that agree with the fatwa.
    However, people just keep on puffing that stinking smoke all over.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts