Monday, June 13, 2011

Down Memory Lane

The place where I used to frequent- Gurney Drive, Penang

Many people dream of being able to live in their own ideal places. Those living in the countryside often dream of living in luxurious bungalows and mansions. On the other hand, those living in the city prefer to  escape from the hustle bustle of city life.

Being born in an island but currently residing in the suburban where the sea is out of sight, I often get tired with smog and honking of vehicles in the early mornings.  I yearn for a smoke free, serene place where  I could woke up in the morning and breathe the fresh morning air, hear the sounds of overlapping waves and feel the cool breeze.

In my younger days, I used to take morning walks to the beach with my elder sister. The beach was only 10 minutes away if we by pass an abandoned bungalow that was in front of the sea. The yard was used to put the tin mining waste.  At that time tin was the major export of my country. Therefore there were a lot of tin mining activities in the mainland. However, I was a bit puzzled as to why they picked the island that I was staying the place to dump the waste. The waste formed like a small hill at the backyard. Yet this was an elite housing area.

Taking morning walks  was freshening  and  energizing. Normally I would see  many old Chinese men and women taking walks by the beach. Those with walking sticks walked slowly to strenghten their muscles .Others brought along companies which enables them to chat with each other as they jogged. Here nobody cares about hurrying off to work as exercise was their main objective. After finishing their one kilometer  walk, only  then they went back home to get ready to work. Back then there were hardly any jams. My father , a headmaster,usually took only half an hour to go to work and the school was actually on the other side of the island.

As a kid, I always go to the beach to take a stroll or to play. Nothing beats the joy of playing with the sand and small waves rolling onto the beach. Sometimes we dug the sand and collect  small mussels that could be brought home to cook. If it was quite early in the morning, the comfort of the cool breeze caressing my face can be really soothing.


Sometimes if I was early, I would be able to witness the stunning sunrise at the horizon. The view was really magnificent which made us realize how great is God's creation. MasyaAllah. Even the view of the sunrise can be therapeutic. Not to mention how useful the sun is to human beings.

As the sun moved up away from the horizon, the day will be warmer, I would normally started to walk back home following the same path that I did before.

Ingin membuat duit dengan menulis artikel bahasa Inggeris?
Klik disini!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts