Monday, October 19, 2009

Starry starry night

I heard a remark on the radio IKIM.....some of the songs that we used to lullaby babies or children here are not really suitable. One example is buai laju laju sampai pokok sena, apa dalam baju , Kuntum bunga cina. I agree with the person on the radio that stated we should encourage songs like twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are. up above the sky so high like a diamond in the sky. The lyrics itself encourage the listener to think about what are actually stars. This could lead the interest of the young boy or girl into the introduction of astronomy. Of course a baby or a child age three and below would not know anything about astronomy. But we have to start somewhere. I remember taking a course in Introduction to astrnonomy back during my student days at the university. I didn't learn much as the class was held at night and I wasn't that nocturnal kind of person. The only thing I remembered was holding a very big telescope which was more than two meters in length. My Iranian classmate used to laugh at me every time I fell asleep in the class. Luckily it was a pass fail course. Alhamdulillah I managed to pass the class. I had actually learnt a lot about astronomy while searching information for my tuition classes and for teaching my children. Besides books, I had to rely on the internet for more information to help me understand more and teach more facts beyond what was in the books. What was interesting was as much as I was impress with the colourful pictures availabled in the internet, I was also able to impress the students and my children. I remembered teaching for the Ist time about ISS, which I hadn't the slightest idea what it was before that. With the help of the internet, I was able to show the pictures of the ISS. Coincidentally just a few weeks after that Dr Sheikh Muzaffar took off in the space shuttle to ISS carrying some items from Malaysia and performed solat there. Yup, internet really helps if you have the interest to dig the information there. And the person on radio IKIM was right. Malaysians should take more interest in astronomy. He personally took a single course in falaq just for his own general knowledge. No doubt by looking at the twinkling stars at night provide a peaceful and serene moment . I'm one of those who feels the calmness by looking at the twinkling of stars. MasyAllah. However, Malaysians should perhaps look beyond that to make us a more knowlegable and advanced person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts